Friday, January 20, 2017

Growing Up As a Teenage Girl with the Obamas


With our new president being sworn into office today, I figured I would look back at the Obama's time in office, specifically Michelle Obama. I compiled some of my favorite looks from her and her impact on me and other teenage girls. The Obamas were elected when I was 8 years old. If I'm being honest, I don't remember much about Baracks campaign, because I was 8 and had better things to do. However, I knew that the Obamas were very charismatic, and if I could have voted they would have been my choice. As a little girl politics obviously wasn't my priority, but growing up for the past 8 years has been amazing. Michelle Obama is someone who is an incredible role model to me for various reasons.

          Growing up, I would occasionally see her in Disney Channel commercials going on about eating healthy and such. At the time, I didn't really care about what she was doing for healthy food, because let's be real, at age 9, I wasn't choosing my meals, my parents were. However, looking back at it now, I'm glad Michelle made that her cause, because I saw the effects. My first year in middle school, I was told that all vending machines were gone, which pissed me off a bit because who doesn't want affordable junk food that my parents won't let me have at home? Um, 11 year me said yes wholeheartedly. However, that was an important thing for our country. Obesity is a huge issue, and her healthy eating movement really improved a lot of things. 

          Michelle Obama's movement grew though, towards encouraging girls all around the world to pursue further education, and to fight for what they believe in. This may sound like the same old feminist rant, but I believe its very important. In a world that is slowly warming up to feminism and where girls are taking huge steps forward in choosing career and educational paths that are typically male dominant, this is huge. Its so amazing to see it, whether through the TV, her snapchat, or Youtube its truly amazing. 

          The most important thing Michelle Obama brought to us within her presidency was her. She is so much, in herself. She provided a huge example to girls of color everywhere, through everything she did. She proved that you didn't have to be white woman to be the first lady. Every speech, every conference, every meeting she displayed incredible class and leadership. Barack Obama may have been our president for the past 8 years, but Michelle Obama is who truly inspired me, and millions of girls throughout the nation.

What was your favorite moment with the Obamas? How do you feel about the next four years? Let me know!
Hope your dreams are lavender scented~
Addis
Instagram - @addismeansnew

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely post! Keep up your amazing work with your blog pretty gal! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete